Johnson Group Contracting
July 28, 2017, 05:01:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION! - REGISTRATION HAS BEEN DISABLED!

We are getting 15,000 hack attempts per month, we have turned off registration of new members until new code is available to better protect our sites...

Welcome to the Leak-Proof.com Forums produced by Johnson Group Contracting...     
 Please post your projects or thoughts.

You will need to be registered in, to view and post on this site properly.

ATTACHMENTS: Image attachments will be displayed under your posts if you include them (we like pictures, but please size them before posting!).
You must log in with a user name to post attachments.

(Cookies need to be enabled for this site so you can navigate properly.)
Privacy: We have no interest in your personal information, any information that is recorded is for the function of the Forums only and will not be shared with anyone.

To visit the Contracting Website - Click Banner a top of page-

Our Corporate Website can be found at http://www.johnsongrouponlineinc.com

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Endur O Seal / HydraSeal?  (Read 6140 times)
Franko

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2008, 11:06:24 PM »

Would this product (HydraSeal) actually seal a floor and prevent water from coming up through? Ever heard of it?
http://enduroseal.com/hydraseal.htm
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 11:08:02 PM by Franko » Logged
Rod Johnson
Admin
Administrator

President - Johnson Group Contracting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:15:01 PM »

The topic is very technical, but here is my response.

This product will likely do everything it says it will. It is the assumed part that will hurt people.
no product will take the place of a properly functioning drainage system. The hole a house is sitting in needs to be drained or it fills with water. The product does not seal cracks and doesn't seal the joints where floor and wall meets. It isn't designed for it. It is designed to prevent moisture from passing through the pours of the concrete into the house which is a good thing.

People might assume it will turn their basement or house into a boat. This is not going to happen unless it was designed to be water tight by an engineer. Some structures are designed and built that way with the use use specialized underslab membranes etc. When you allow water pressure to build under a basement floor, the floor can actually be jacked up. I have seen this happen.

So to sum up, all foundations need a fully functioning perimeter drainage system as a starting point. Sealing out moisture/vapour is a good second course of action but will never replace the basics.
Oh, and the water should always be collected at the lowest level possible, the level of the bottom of the footing, but not below it. (except when the footing is excessively low). Any system that collects water at the same level of the floor is a poor substitute for a perimeter drainage system. But there I go off topic...

Not you average basement repair contractor.
Franko

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 07:32:44 PM »

Thank you for the reply. Point taken. Is it not possible then to have a water tight seal between old and new concrete on my basement floor?

Franko
Rod Johnson
Admin
Administrator

President - Johnson Group Contracting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 09:06:52 PM »

If you were trying to hold water, you can create a liner. If you want to hold water back, all that is needed is one pin hole and the seal has failed. There are some products (urethane) that claim to penetrate the concrete and cracks to create a "complete" seal from the top side of the floor, but I have not reviewed their data as of yet. (I think it is called SaniTread.)

Cracks tend to "wick" moisture upwards. Tight cracks do this well, like a pipette in science class.
We sell a penetrating epoxy in our online store that will more or less "seal" tight cracks. If you didn't wash the sides of the the trench (broken faces) with a hose prior to pouring the new concrete, they will be harder to "seal". I wouldn't put a warranty on the sealing of a floor cracks to be water tight with the products available to us right now.

Not you average basement repair contractor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

We sell injection grouting products in our online shop!
See it at http://leak-proof.com/catalog